Monday, June 28, 2010

When We Are Unjustly Wronged

When I am unjustly wronged (especially by those I love), hurt fuels my anger. Yet it is not revenge or even justice I seek but the satisfaction of making sure those who treat me unfairly know that I am aware of their cruelty. Many times people do cruel things yet act as though nothing is wrong. It is a pattern for some.

A pattern that lights a flame of anger in my soul that burns hot - I can't sleep or reason.
Yet despite such fire, there is a gentle breeze seemingly just beyond my reach. It whispers...
"Forgiveness."
That whisper angers me even more! "But I don't deserve this treatment!" I want to yell it... I do yell it as tears fall.

"Forgiveness"...it whispers again.

"But they will get away with it!" Frustration overpowers me.

Forgiveness... it's God's answer. I hear it---I know it----I plan to ignore it!!! ....at least for awhile.

"When am I allowed a righteous anger?!" I ask, desperate to hold onto the flame. I refer to Jesus throwing over the tables in the temple. "When can I do that?!"

The sleepless nights continue. My anger spills over until it is I who am mistreating those that I love. I am doing to others that which has been done to me. I am utterly exhausted and miserable.

An angel steps in. He points past those who hurt me and into the spiritual realm. He shows me satan's minions whispering into the ears of those I love. He explains how satan is using my loved ones and distorting their thoughts and actions in order to distort mine. My angel smiles as understanding dawns in my mind. He reminds me he will always be by my side.

"Forgive them Father, they really don't know what they do."


************************************************


God tells us in His Word not to focus on this world or our vision will become distorted (II Corinthians 4:16-18). I have discovered the more I focus on the spiritual side of things (the good as well as the evil), not only will it be harder for satan to deceive me but the easier (not easy, but easier) it is to love people the way God does~and to feel sad instead of angry when people do hurtful things. (II Corinthians 2:7-8!!)

As for that righteous anger, Jesus showed none of that when He was being beaten, ridiculed or put to death. Who had a better reason for anger than an innocent man dying for the sins of everyone else? But there was no anger--instead--forgiveness. (Luke 23:34)

The anger of Jesus flared only when the people were mocking His Father's house, making a Holy Place into a den of thieves by those who were hypocritical--not to Him, but to His Father. (John 2:12-16) Therefore a righteous anger, in my humble opinion, is anger toward those who dare use God's name (and house) for their own purposes. We should feel anger when we see those using God as an excuse to kill, using God to exhort money, using God to manipulate others....

When we feel anger for how we are treated, we need to look beyond ourselves and into God's realm. When we focus on Him and what He has done and is doing for us these injustices might seem rather small.

1 comment:

  1. Anger, both righteous and otherwise, is probably my worst fault. It is an almost daily exercise for me to keep it under control. You are quite right when you say we need to look beyond ourselves. This can be extremely difficult to do, but at times it is the only thing that gives me peace.

    ReplyDelete