Saturday, January 1, 2011

THE WORD OF GOD

I grew up reading about places where Bibles were not allowed. Men, women and even children would risk their lives to bring Bibles into those places. Pages would be torn out of available Bibles so that God's Word could be secretly passed from one group to another. I guess because of those stories I have always thought of a Bible as a treasure even before I discovered the riches that it held.
Ownership of a Bible has always been a thing of pride for me. I have very fond memories of nearly every Bible that belongs to me.


My first one was purchased at a Bible bookstore that no longer exists. I must have been four. I wandered in there while my mom was in a neighboring store. I noticed a small, soft,
leather-like book.
I couldn't read but I knew what it was. The pages were thin and some of the words were written in red.
I immediately loved it. It fit perfectly in my small hands. I took it to the counter and laid down the two dollars that I had. The elderly man behind the counter (elderly according to my four year old eyes...) told me the price of this perfect little Bible. All I remember was that it was more than two dollars. I must have looked at him like a deer in headlights because he smiled at me and said, "That's o.k., it will be enough".
I was so relieved, I grabbed the tiny book and quickly left the store, I am sure, without so much as a "Thank-you".
I still have that Bible. The words are too small to read easily but it will always be a reminder of the kindness of a stranger

When I was in grade school I noticed that in the spring all the 5th graders in my church received their very own Bibles. The Boys received a black one and the girls received a white one.
Oh, how beautiful I thought those white ones were! I couldn't wait until I was a 5th grader!
Finally, that day arrived.
To my dismay every 5th grader that year received a red Bible.



My senior year in High School I was asked what I wanted for graduation. I knew right away. A leather-bound Bible with my name on it.
I picked out a blue one because the bookstore would have to order a white one and I was too impatient.
Today that Bible is stuffed with bulletins from weddings and funerals, pictures of my kids, a "God Rules" bumper-sticker from the '80's, and 1 Samuel 14 is wrinkled and stained with Dr. Pepper.
It has become what I hoped it would... a faithful companion always there to guide me through this life.

But we live in a disposable world and Bibles seem to be another thing we have an overabundance of.
Is that possible?! Is it possible to have an overabundance of God's Word?
I suppose it could be if Bibles become more "books" than scripture.

I did a search for "Bibles" on Amazon.com. I scrolled down 15 pages listing a vast variety of Bibles. As I scrolled it became a little comical:

NIV Woman's Devotional Bible - the original collection of daily devotion from godly women.
NIV Woman's Devotional Bible 2 - a new collection of daily devotions from godly women.
God's Words of life from the NIV Woman's Devotional Bible -
(not a Bible but....)


Also there were:

The One Year Bible
The Chronological Study Bible
and
The One Year Chronological Study Bible

There were Bibles that I found myself immediately attracted to:

The Archaeological Bible - an illustrated walk through Biblical history and culture.
The Apologetics Bible - understand why you believe.

Can I get those without the Bible part? I already have a Bible or two..... or twenty.

The list went on:

The American Patriots Bible - The Word of God and the shaping of America.
In His Image Bible - Be more like God as you discover His attributes and character.
Quest Study Bible - the question and answer Bible, over 300 articles answering the most asked questions.
The Message Remix New Testament: 2010 Student Planner Edition


It strikes me a little strange that it took generations to settle on what is deemed fit to be an accepted part of "The Bible" (understanding, of course, that even to this day it is not all agreed upon) yet we are okay with adding to it devotions, apologetics, politics, student planners....

Theology books, devotions and other study guides can help us better understand the Word of God but shouldn't they remain separated so that it remains clear that these extras are just that....extras? Ideas we may or may not agree with? By placing these guides within the same pages as scripture are we risking confusing God's Words with man's words?
I ask these questions in humble sincerity as I have purchased many specialty Bibles over the years. They are fun and somehow more personalized than just a plain 'ol Bible (can I call God's Word "plain"?).

Not many days ago I held a soft green leather-bound VeggieTales Bible in my hands silently wishing my children still loved them as much as I do so I would have an excuse to buy it. It would be minutes before I sighed and reluctantly placed it back on the shelf.

But as I see such a variety of Scriptures....



The Boys Bible - finally a Bible just for boys! Discover gross and gory stuff. Find interesting and humorous facts. Apply the Bible to your life through fun doodles, sketches and quick responses.

NIV Women of Faith Bible - experience the liberating grace of God.
Young Women of Faith Bible - moms and daughters can study the Bible together with shared features from the NIV Women of Faith Study Bible
The Life Recovery Bible - the Bible for people in 8 or 12 step recovery
Amplified Bible Mass Market

NIV Backpack Bible
NIV Faithgirlz! Bible
Faithgirlz! Backpack Bible


........I have to wonder
......are we marketing the Word of God?

1 comment:

  1. Of all things in this world, of all books in existence…isn’t it tragic that the truths within the Word are not sufficient for the masses to obtain scripture.

    Popular culture has created a world focused on finding a hook to catch each and every consumer; it is certainly true for many churches locked in the battle to put butts in the seats so it is not surprising to see this worldly approach applied to distributing the Word. This blog posting brings to mind the movie, “The Book of Eli”, and I ponder how differently the movie could have ended if the last Bible on Earth was one of these hybrid copies. SCAREY!

    ReplyDelete